Thursday, December 14, 2006

Goodbye Saltimbanco & Rio de Janeiro

Saltimbanco had its last performance on Dec 10th, 2006, and closed its doors after a 14-year run playing to almost 10 million people in 69 different countries. It was an amazing last show! All the acrobats and performers nailed their parts, the band was tight and rockin', and it couldn't have been a better show.

It was the longest period of time I had been away from home...at times exhausting, at times exhilerating, but never a boring moment.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Asleep at my makeup table between shows,
Sat. Sept 16, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Being a part of this Cirque du Soleil production was not only extremely rewarding but also one of the highlights of my life.

One of the most difficult I've ever done was saying goodbye to the many friends I made in this show -- performers, musicians, administrators and crew... a few are moving on to other shows; some taking time off, some going back to their homes in Russia, China, Ukraine, America, Canada, etc.

Thank you Saltimbanco for the ride of my life. You are all the most talented, creative, fun, amazing and whacky group of people I have ever worked with!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i worked as an usher in rio de janeiro and it was really really sad to see you leave.
we all feel that there's something missing without you here (and i've been with saltimbanco only for a month!).

if it was difficult for me to say goodbye, i can't even imagine how it was for you...

well, we don't know each other, but you're part of it. so thanks for everything. :)

Armen said...

You're welcome Luana. It was a memorable experience for all of us that went to the site daily. We left a bit of ourselves in Rio when we all left. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Armen! I know you don't know me, but I was taking a look at your blog and couldnt help but leave you this comment. I loved the stories, videos and pictures in it! Thanks for posting them.. that way I could picture how it feels like to be part of Saltimbanco's team. :) I watched the show in may, at Buenos Aires. It was incredible! Probably the best day I have had this year so far.. specially because after the show I was taken backstage, thanks to Atlin and to a poster I had brought from my brazilian circus group (Tholl). Well, I dont want to take your time.. just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your posts! Im sure the time spent in the show was a hell of an experience for you and I can imagine how you miss it. Hope you had a good time in Brazil, hope it fulfilled all your expectations! Because that single day I spent at Saltimbanco was very special and has, for sure, fulfilled mine. :) Thanks for everything! Take care! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, it sounds like you really made the right decision to take this gig and leave town for a while, good for you - I wish I could have done that but the timing is wrong for me right now. So - what are yo going to do now, Armen? Call me in 2007, let's hang out! - Doug Perkins

MEW said...

Hi Armen,
I am a great fan of Cirque, but have yet to leave the USA to see a show so we missed Saltimbanco :-( 2 friends made it to your final show so I was able to feel somewhat connected. They, of course, found it to be an amazing experience!
I love reading your blog and seeing some of the 'hidden' side of Cirque.
Off to Orlando in 2 weeks to see La Nouba - can't wait.

Armen said...

I'm sorry you missed our show. Have a great time seeing La Nouba! I'm sure you will love it!!