Monday, April 11, 2005

Gallery Theater Concert - Hollywood, CA

Armen Chakmakian Blog

After arriving for our equipment load-in @ 3pm, I found myself in what could've been a very ugly situation and something that is referred to as "typical band shit." I ring the backstage buzzer and while waiting for someone to open the stage door, I look at Gilbert (one of the percussionists) and say, "Watch, this be one of those times where no one's here to let us in, and they won't get here until 5pm." Well, I was close. There was a casting call going on the same stage until 5:30. This is when I had to get a hold of myself and think clearly because I felt my blood boiling and the smoke was about to shoot out of my ears! ...Long story short, I got them to move the casting into the lobby of the theater and started loading in at 3:30. We played two good sets to about 150 people...pretty good for a Sunday evening. The band kicked ass and received a standing ovation. We would've come out for an encore had the promoter not immediately come onto the stage, grabbed the mic and started thanking people for coming. Jesus...they paid $30 bucks to get in. They deserved an encore. Sorry folks.

We did have a blast playing this venue and the audience was wonderful, except for the lady who was complaining loudly to her husband (the poor bastard!) about it being cold in the theater. Any normal person would've been embarrased. We were about to play September, and I heard some hag yapping and yapping and yapping until finally someone told her to be quiet. Think she listened? Nope. Doug's playing a very quiet intro on his bass, and she just kept going and going. You know that sound when you try and start your car and the engine won't turn over? Yammer-yammer-yammer-yammer. Dear god!! So I finally gave her a stare, put my finger to my lips and shhh'd her too (I've never shhh'd an audience member). The idiot kept talking! Had this been a rock concert I would've dove into the audience, strangled her (can you say 'anger management'?), and then been on the news every day for the next month and watched my album sales sky rocket! Maybe next time.

We'll definitely be playing this cool room again, and play for such a wonderful audience (minus the psycho lady)!

Backstage:
Backstage - Gallery Theater

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But - she was COLD. I mean, don't you understand what that can do to a person? The lady was FREEZING COLD...in the theater, at your show. You should have MUCH more compassion for her... she was COLD. All she wanted (poor thing) was to let everyone know how COLD she was...concert shmoncert. I think the bottom line here - is - do you know what she was complaining about? Do you REALLY understand? I wonder how she feels right now...I wonder if she's okay. I'm just concerned about the lady who was so cold, she couldn't shut up.

Armen said...

Listen, if she was cold, she should've just come right out and said so.

Susan said...

She did say she was cold, really loudly, in Armenian. Those who didn't understand Armenian thought she was just having a spat with her family. Either way, I just sat there enjoying the music and wondering if Armen was going to blow a gasket. I didn't even know he shushed her (he handled it so well). I know it was annoying to everyone but I'm going to stay positive. This type of behavior will keep me in business. No, she wouldn't be my patient, but I could certainly help some of the thousands she traumatizes daily.