Monday, May 16, 2005

Now I've heard it all - Armenian Obscene Call?

Glendale, California is sometimes an interesting place to live. The Armenian population here is second only to the population of the mother country. So when I pick up the phone it's not too unusual to get a wrong number from someone speaking in Armenian. Armenian telemarketers will call as well. I get called from AT&T (side note: I always ask "You know I'm naked right now?" and that seems to get them to hang up quickly) and once from a woman who made her best attempt at selling me a cemetary plot for Forest Lawn Mortuary. I even get calls in from Armenian speaking campainers near the elections, be it Presidential, State and local politicians.

As of Yesterday, I think I heard it all. The phone rings, I pick up and hear a guy on the other online. It's obviously a man speaking with a lisp in a very feminine tone. In Armenian he says, "Hello dear. What's your name dear?" Mind you, I have several friends who rarely use their real voice when they call me - just to be funny. None of those guys speak Armenian except one, and he speaks a different dialect of Armenian than the guy on the phone, so I'm stumped. But I had to ask, "Dino? Is that you, you crazy bastard?" Again in Armenian, "Hello my sweet, would you tell me your name?" and he started breathing heavy. I put on the speaker phone so I could brush my teeth and be somewhat productive while figuring out who this could be. "Dino, is that you, you sick pervert?"

Caller: "I'm going to put on some Arabic music now. Maybe I could entice you to give me your name dear." [Festive Arabic music starts to play loudly in the background]. Now I'm laughing which causes me to accicentally start to spit toothpaste out onto the mirror! The music stopped after about a minute and the caller came back on. "Let me turn off this stupid music and get back to you. Now will you tell me your name sweetheart?"

With toothpaste in my mouth, laughing, I replied "My name is Varoush you sick mother. Do I know you?" It's usually at this point in the call where my friend will come clean and have a good laugh from entertaining himself. But the phone was silent and he kept asking the same question, so I hung up and never received a call back. Hmmm...I think I was just contacted by an Armenian Obscene Phone Caller!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the arabic music made me choke on my diet coke while I was reading this...

Katy said...

That was pretty funny!