Sunday, July 09, 2006

Las Vegas Trip & 3 Cirque Shows

We arrived home from our Vegas trip a few days ago, and as always, we had a blast. You either love Las Vegas, or you hate it. I don't think there is an in-between. The highlight(s) of our trip were the three Cirque du Soleil shows that we saw.

The first show we saw was Mystère, at Treasure Island. It was very similar to Saltimbanco, the show that I'm touring with. I hooked up with Gilles St.-Amant, their drummer who is Saltimbanco's former drummer of 12 years. Wow! This dude played drums on the same gig for 12 years and smiled to tell me about it! THAT is dedication! It was very cool to meet him.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Immediately after the show we drove over to Treasure Island to see O. Wow! What a show this was to see! It was stunning! Then next day we saw Love, the newest Cirque production that features the music of The Beatles, which was at The Mirage. Cirque really brought their music to life! I found myself several times during the show with my hands on my cheeks and my jaw dropped...speechless...thinking "How the hell did they come up with this stuff!!" There were moments that I felt were so creative, I was in shock.

My favorite acts were Strawberry Fields Forever, which was surreal, A Day in the Life, which was penetrating and intense, and While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which was actually the original guitar/vocal demo of George Harrison performing the piece. George Martin, the Beatles original producer, created and recorded a brand new string arrangement for this piece. The thing I liked about this show was that it was all about the music. Whatever Cirque show you've seen before, don't expect anything when you go in to see this. If you're a Beatles fan, you will love it!

Here are my comments on all the Cirque shows I've seen:
Zumanity is fun.
Quidam is touching.
Saltimbanco is amazing.
Mystère is impressive.
O is mind blowing - stunning.
Love is awesome.

We finished off our evenings at a few cool places to hang out. This swanky bar called Peppermill's Fireside Lounge was a really great old-school-Vegas hang complete with fire pits and neon lights.

Viva Las Vegas!

No comments: