Thursday, October 26, 2006

Percussion Shop and Choro Music - Sao Paulo, Brazil

Many of us on Saltimbanco left Sao Paulo for Rio de Janeiro on Monday morning. The Cirque du Soleil big top is going up this week! But before leaving Sao Paulo, I was on a quest for some quality percussion instruments, particularly a berimbau and pandeiro along with some other 'toys'. My friend Bruno hooked me up and took me to a percussion shop called Batucadas 1000. (click photos to enlarge)

Batucadas 1000 percussion shop


Then off I went to play two shows. Afterwards, a bunch of us were invited to a tavern called Ó do Borogodó in the Pinheiros neighborhood to listen to our friend Andre Hosoi play mandolin in a choro ensemble. This is the music that gave birth to the samba.

Andre, Bruno, me, Chantal


Videos of the group performing two songs:

"Proezas de Solon" - Composer: Pixinguinha e Benedito Lacerda

"Simplicidade" - Composer: Jacob do Bandolim

No comments: