Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Root Canal Pt. 2 and My Burning Hair

Today I sat through the 2nd part of my four-part root canal procedure. It was painless, but inside my mouth I could felt pressure, pushing, pulling, drilling, burning, dust, children running through the streets screaming, raping and pillaging, atonal music, etc. Just kidding...there was no atonal music. I learned that anesthesia is the bitterest stuff I've ever tasted, next to my own humility. Yuk! I also realized that the burning smell of my teeth being drilled is just like the smell of burning hair. How do I know? Let me tell you about the flashback I had as the rising odor of my teeth being drilled penetrated my nostrils.

In 1993 when I looked something like this,
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(Palookaville - Santa Cruz, CA.
January 1995
recording of Shadowfax "Live")

I was in Cape Coral, FL playing with Shadowfax. After the concert, I ended up at a club and had three Sambuca too many. There I was, leaning on a hand rail listening to the music. I noticed this god-awful smell, like burning plastic. All of the sudden, the woman next to me widened her eyes and raised her hand as if she was going to slap me! (I swear to god officer, I didn't touch her.) As she raised her hand I saw a bright flash and noticed that as I was leaning over the railing, my curly locks were dangling over a candle and were getting singed! I was slapping my hair and the little ball of fire went out pretty quick. It all happened within a split second. There was ash from my hair stuck to the palm of my hand. What a horrible stench! Hey! What a cool new look for me! See, something good always comes out of something bad. Bartender, another Sambuca please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hair...Paulie Shore...but you look more focused.

Armen said...

And I only use the word "dude" half as much as he did.