Friday, September 02, 2005

Third World U.S.A. - Hurricane Katrina

I was glued to the television set last night watching the aftermath in New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina. My god...it's the first time in my life that I remember seeing video/images of any part of the U.S.A that resemble a third-world country. What a shock. These are some photos from CNN's website taken by local citizens.

I still wonder why so many people chose to stay and not leave the area when they had ample warning that this thing was coming their way. Then again, I remember working on the 11th floor of a Disney-owned building in Glendale when the fire alarm sounded. Our supervisor yelled something like, "Wait! Don't go anywhere. I'm going to find out if this is a false alarm." EXCUSE ME? "MIGHT BE..."? Out of about 30+ people in the office, I was the only one that said, "Fine, you find out while I get the hell out of here." and I bolted down the stairs and left the building (it was a false alarm). It was a big building. I don't remember seeing anymore than maybe 25-35 of us standing there in the courtyard looking up at the building waiting to see what was going to happen. So maybe it's human nature to stick around and wait to see what 'the other guy' is going to do.

My wife and I donated to the American Red Cross Hurricane 2005 Relief Fund. I invite you to do the same. Every little bit helps. They also have a link on the site for anyone that wants to volunteer.

Photo from August 29, 2005 8:20 a.m. EDT

2 comments:

lisa lopez said...

I believe that, due to socioeconomic status, many of them had no choice. No transportation, nowhere to go. And obviously no help, as we can clearly see.

Armen said...

I'm aware of the socioeconimic status. That's a valid point for a number of people there. But there were so many people that stayed when there was a mandatory evacuation. I wonder is how many people could have left that decided to stay.

As far as "no help as we can clearly see" - nothing I view through the eyes of the media is ever "clear" to me. I was listening to the stats reported by the Red Cross today, and they are doing a hell of a job. It's a huge effort. Everyone's kicking in.

But then again, we live in the beyond-the-microwave era and the daddy-can-I-have-breast-implants-for-my-high-schoo-graduation-gift
generation expecting everything to get done now, complaining about what we don't have.